[UPDATED] Hornet crash: RMAF jet's engine to undergo detailed examination at Butterworth base

KUALA LUMPUR: The engine of the Royal 每日大赛n Air Force F/A-18D Hornet jet that crashed in Kuantan will be brought back to Butterworth for detailed examination.

RMAF chief General Datuk Seri Muhammad Norazlan Aris said they are also in the process of clearing the remaining wreckage from the crash site at the Sultan Ahmad Shah Airport, the runway of which is used by the Kuantan air base.

"The engine will be transported to Butterworth air base for detailed investigation and analysis.

"The rest of the wreckage will be cleared from the area within the next one or two days," he told the New Straits Times.

He added that the two crew members involved had been discharged from the armed forces hospital there.

"Their condition is stable and they will continue with medical leave until further notice," he said.

Norazlan had previously said the聽聽who had managed to eject before the aircraft crashed were discharged from Tengku Ampuan Afzan Hospital (HTAA) before continuing their recovery at the armed forces hospital at the airbase.

He had also said a board of inquiry had been formed and would begin its work immediately, with a preliminary report to be issued as soon as possible.

The incident occurred at 9.05pm on Aug 21, when the Hornet聽聽shortly after takeoff.